In recent years, more and more people around the world are looking for alternatives to wheat products. One of the best substitutes for wheat flour is buckwheat. They say it is incredibly healthy and not too high in calories.
At the same time, oddly enough, you cannot find it in all stores. Therefore, on culinary forums you can often come across questions like where can I buy buckwheat flour.
In this article, we will tell you what buckwheat flour is, what nutritional characteristics it has, how it is good for the body and where to buy buckwheat flour near me.
Buckwheat flour, like the groats itself, spread throughout the world from the slopes of the Himalayas from Nepal. Dishes based on it are found in national cuisines:
How to cook at home
If you are not planning to buy buckwheat flour in the store, you can always make it at home. For the production of buckwheat flour, it is peeled from the shell, fried, and then crushed. However, it is easy to make at home:
- You need to take the kernel, sort out and rinse.
- Wait until the cereal dries by itself or slightly warm it up in the oven.
- Grind in a blender, coffee grinder or food processor to a powdered sugar consistency.
- If necessary, sift and grind coarse particles again.
Home-milled buckwheat is more useful than store-bought buckwheat, since it is impossible to clean the grains from the husk at home, and it contains a lot of fiber and vitamins.
How to choose in the store
If you do not plan to grind buckwheat on your own, but buy buckwheat flour online, then you should know that it could be of two types: light and dark. The darker one is more useful, the light product contains fewer nutrients.
Buckwheat flour is finely ground or coarse – peeled. The choice depends on the dish:
- Fine grinding for making pancakes, pancakes, muffins.
- Peeled retains more useful properties. It is suitable for breads, cereals and pasta.
The flour should be light gray-brown in color. If it is darker, then the grains were overcooked, you should not cook from it. The consistency should be crumbly. Lumps indicate exposure to moisture and a violation of the packaging of the product.
How to store
If you are going to buy buckwheat flour for future use, you should know how to properly store this product. When storing flour, there are two main rules:
- The product must be free from moisture. Store in a tightly closed container in a cool dry place.
- Shelf life from 3 to 7 months. It is not worth buying a lot at once, it is better to build on the amount required for cooking 1-2 dishes.
You can check the suitability of the product by smell. If there is a smell of dampness or mold, then it cannot be used. Quality flour has the smell of roasted buckwheat and nuts.
Buckwheat flour has many indications for use, as it is rich in minerals:
- Iron relieves chronic fatigue, increases efficiency, and reduces the risk of anemia.
- Iodine stimulates the thyroid gland; thereby improving mood, prevents hair loss, dry skin, reduces headaches, and improves immunity.
- Potassium regulates water balance, reduces swelling, helps the heart, and supplies the brain with oxygen.
- Calcium strengthens bones and teeth.
- Magnesium is responsible for glucose metabolism, protein production and nucleic acid synthesis. Strengthens blood vessels, reducing the risk of stroke and heart disease.
- Copper improves the condition of the skin, helping to synthesize collagen and elastin, and improves the functioning of the endocrine system.
Ground buckwheat contains vitamins:
- B1, B2, B9 (folic acid) regulate the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- PP or niacin helps to regulate the nervous system and digestive processes.
- Vitamin E has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the sex glands; it is recommended for pregnant women.
The constant use of the product leads to the normalization of:
- work of the nervous system;
- brain functioning;
- cholesterol levels;
- immune processes;
- blood sugar levels;
- the process of assimilation of food.
Buckwheat does not contain gluten, which means it is recommended for people with gluten allergies. Therefore, if you have a gluten intolerance, you should know where can I buy buckwheat flour in order to be able to prepare meals with it that will improve your health.
Buckwheat flour is primarily a carbohydrate product. 100 g contains 50% of the daily intake of carbohydrates, calculated for an adult.
For people leading an active lifestyle and regularly involved in sports, the daily calorie intake will, on average, be 20% higher.
The calorie content of buckwheat flour is 334 kcal per 100 grams. It is almost equal to that of wheat. Nevertheless, the glycemic index is a quarter lower, only 50.
Eating low-GI foods, such as buckwheat flour, a person gets several positive effects at once:
- The feeling of satiety lasts for 3-4 hours.
- The body receives an energy charge and a feeling of vigor for a long time.
- Slow carbohydrates do not provoke active production of insulin, which is important for people suffering from diabetes.
If you decide to go on a diet, you should know where to find buckwheat flour near me.
Buckwheat should not be consumed in the afternoon. The production of glucose can interfere with sleep or disrupt the digestive process, and the unspent energy runs the risk of being converted into fat. In the evening, it is better to choose foods that are high in protein and fiber.
Skin beauty product
Buckwheat flour is a frequent component in cosmetic masks, since it can have a beneficial effect on the condition of the skin due to its vitamin and mineral complex. Such masks provide a number of positive effects:
- cleanse the skin;
- help relieve inflammation and acne;
- fight against age-related changes;
- enrich with vitamins and minerals;
- relieve swelling, reduce bruises under the eyes;
- remove toxins.
Due to its soft structure, buckwheat flour has a positive effect on dry or sensitive skin, does not damage it.
Milled buckwheat can be used to make face and body masks, peels, eye compresses.
What can you cook?
The taste of dishes with the addition of buckwheat flour reveals gradually and light bitterness is replaced by pleasant nutty notes. Flour makes baked goods more fluffy. With its help, you can diversify many familiar recipes:
- cheese cakes.
To knead the dough, you need to add wheat or any other “sticky” flour in a 1: 1 ratio, since buckwheat does not contain gluten.
Buy buckwheat flour online
If you cannot find where to buy buckwheat flour near me – no big deal. Today, absolutely everything can be bought online without leaving your home, including food and, in particular, buckwheat flour.
Therefore, if you have not found buckwheat flour in the nearest store, place an order online and it will be brought to your home at a convenient time for you.